Welcome friend. Today is a promise. Unfortunately, I cannot make you any. I cannot promise you perfection or, at times, even sanity. *wink* I am just here, searching for the same thing as you. Hope. Joy. Love. And I'm finding it in the journey. So, if you like coffee as much as I do, why don't you pour yourself a cup, take a deep breathe and stay awhile. Maybe we can find the joy together.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

For The Love Of Fritters!

Today marks the first day of my hubbies vacation! Nine days including projects, camping, a 4 day trip to Idaho and plenty of fun! It has been quite awhile since my husband has had a true vacation. He has taken time off over the last two years but most of it has been taking care of me or our crazy stint in KY. Not exactly rejuvenating.
I wanted to kick off the day with a special celebration and in our house that usually involves food.
My husband enjoys apple fritters. I mean he really enjoys a good apple fritter!
We usually head to a local donut shop for the goods but I wanted to knock this surprise out of the park, so out came the cookbooks.
This recipe is adapted from the Baker Creek Vegan Cookbook. I used it as a basic outline but there are very few moments in life that I follow a recipe as written. This was no exception
This is my adapted recipe.

Heat up 3 jars of Louanna's Coconut Oil (available at Walmart) in a large dutch oven to 350 degrees.

Make your dough which consists of:
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
2 granny smith apples peeled and finely chopped
2 cups warm water
4 1/2 tsp. yeast
1/2 cup natural sugar (I like organic cane sugar when I can afford it!)
1/4 tsp. salt

Just mix this dough up with a spoon. Simple. Let it sit for a few minutes.

Drop in quarter cup fulls of batter into that hot oil and watch it bubble. Try to let little "fingers" come up as you drop your dough. They taste the best! Brown up these little treasures on both sides until they are a rich golden brown. Takes about 4 minutes. Lift out with a slotted spoon or tongs and let cool on racks with paper towels underneath to deal with the mess.


Don't forget your glaze.

Mix together with a large fork:
3 cups powdered sugar
10 tsps. fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tbls. milk

Drizzle the glaze on your fritters while they are still hot! Watch the glaze melt into the cracks and once it hardens turn them and do the same thing on the other side.
Save one or two without glaze for those who are pregnant and can't handle too much sweet. <Ahem>





Serve these up while warm, preferably with pretty dishes and a nicely set table. A little English Breakfast Tea with cream doesn't hurt either.


 
Prepare for the man in your life saying these are the best apple fritters he has ever had.



Bow or curtsey. Enjoy the accolades as you take a deep breath and dive into a huge cleanup. Don't worry. It is worth it.

That smile says it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! Please be patient and I will post it soon, unless it is cruel in which case I will use my discernment. But feel free to disagree on anything, iron sharpens iron.